Hi, How Can We Help You?

electronic travel authorization (eTA) Ask For Consultation Electronic Travel

Electronic Travel Authorization

An Entry requirement for foreigners that do not require a visa.

Travelling to Canada by air is known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). It  is electronically linked to a traveler’s passport and valid for up to 5 years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  If you get a replacement passport, you’ll have to obtain a replacement eTA.

  • An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry to Canada. Once you arrive, a border services officer will ask to look at and review your passport and other documents.
  • With an eTA that is valid, you’ll be able to visit Canada as often as you wish for brief stays (normally for up to 6 months at a time). You do not require an eTA for travel nationally within Canada.

Most eligible applicants get their eTA approval within minutes (via email) and to expect an email within 3 days, to instruct you on the next steps.

However, some requests can take a few days to process if you’re asked to submit supporting documents. It is advised to obtain an eTA before booking your trip to Canada.

If you pass the identity check and meet the entry requirements, the border services officer may stamp your passport or let you know how long you can stay in Canada.

You’re normally allowed to stay in Canada for up to 6 months. In some cases, the officer may limit or extend your time in Canada to cover the planned reason for your visit.