Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilot
As an in-home caregiver, you can apply for permanent residency via the Home ChildCare Provider and Home Support pilot, given that you have 2 years of eligible work experience in Canada. This pilot allows your family members to come to Canada to work or study while you get work experience.
What are Home Child Care Providers or Home Support Worker Pilots?
With the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot (Formerly Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilots) as a caregiver once you have acquired two years of Canadian work experience this will provide a pathway to permanent residence.
As a caregiver you would be eligible for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot, given you have work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) 4411 (excluding foster parents).
Who can apply for Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots?
If you are a caregiver who has a job offer in Canada, both the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot would provide work permits if you meet the following criteria:
- Language tests result showing a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 5;
- One year of foreign equivalent post-secondary or Canadian education; and
- Admissible to Canada.
If you are a caregiver and meet these criteria you can apply for permanent residence through these pilots given you are working in Canada on a work permit.
A maximum of 2,750 principal applicants (out of 5500 per year) will be accepted for each program.
The pilots also provide:
- Work permits that are occupation-specific for caregivers, which allows them to change jobs quickly if necessary.
- Spouses/common-law partners with open work permits and dependent children with study permits, which allows the caregiver’s family to accompany them to Canada.
In the past a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) was required from employers hiring a caregiver from overseas, this will no longer be required.
How Can one apply through Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots?
If you lack qualifying experience:
- Depending on which occupation you plan to work in, you can apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot.
- You secure a valid job offer.
- With your permanent residence application, you submit a work permit application
- You get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily if you meet the requirement
- You can work as a caregiver for any employer given that the work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit.
- To qualify for permanent residence you get at least 24 months of work
- Once you have enough work experience, send the proof.
- The final decision on your application will be made by Immigration, Refugee, Canadian Citizenship (IRCC) for your permanent residence.
If you are working full-time – temporary foreign worker – as a caregiver in Canada for up to 24 months of experience:
- Depending on which occupation you plan to work in you can apply to either the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot.
- A valid job offer is secured
- With your permanent residence application, you submit a work permit application.
- You get a work permit to work in Canada temporarily if you meet the requirements.
- You can work as a caregiver for any employer if the work permit you get is an occupation-restricted open work permit.
- To qualify for permanent residence, you need at least 24 months of work experience
- Once you have enough work experience, you need to send proof.
- Your application for permanent residence will get a final decision.
You and your family members are eligible to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or the Home Support Worker Pilot if you already have 24 months of qualifying work experience. You will need to include documents to prove you have enough qualifying work experience when you apply.
Immigration Pathway through Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots
As a foreign national caregiver, you must show that you meet the eligibility and admissibility requirements of the pilots in order to get a work permit.
- language test results that show you can communicate in English or French
- a Canadian post-secondary diploma or certificate of at least 1 year, or an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report, equivalent to a Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year
- work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes 4411 (home child care provider) or 4412 (home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations)
To get started on this factor you need to get a job offer as a caregiver in Canada.
As an eligible caregiver overseas or in Canada you can be provided a job offer via an employer (a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident). In order to start the journey, you need to get a job offer from someone who is looking for an in-home caregiver.
Once an employer is secured, they should issue you an offer of employment.
Along with your permanent residence application you need to ensure your documents are ready for a work permit.
To submit your application you need to ensure that all documents requested are complete and ready to submit.
If you end up meeting the requirements and securing a work permit in Canada, this permit will be occupation-restricted and allows you to work as a caregiver for any employer. Also to note you can work in Canada temporarily only.
To qualify for permanent residence you need at least 24 months of work experience.
Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will make a final decision on your application for permanent residence and will look for proof of your work experience that you submitted.
Advantages of Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker Pilots
- As a caregiver, you may be a close family to the employer as long as you meet all the eligibility requirements. A benefit of this program is for the employer looking to hire temporary foreign workers to care for a loved one.
- As a caregiver, your family members would be eligible to accompany you to Canada once you are officially hired by an employer.
- With a restricted work-permit, as a candidate, you are able to secure occupation and may work for any employer looking for a caregiver
- You may land a job when applying from outside of Canada. You would initially start with a work permit and your family can accompany you and once you complete your required work experience for the program you may then apply for Permanent Residence.
Why choose a Mana Immigration consultant to help you?
It’s simple. As immigrants ourselves, we have been in your shoes.
Making the decision to immigrate to another country is one of life’s biggest decisions. It goes without saying that having someone help you through this difficult process can save you from making mistakes on your application, spending too much money, or becoming frustrated with the difficult road ahead.
Having immigrated to Canada ourselves, our mission ever since has been to help aspiring migrants overcome the challenges of their own personal journeys (something we wished we had access to years ago).
There are many consulting firms that claim to want to help immigrants settle in Canada. But many of them have never been through the process themselves; so how can they offer the in-depth knowledge needed to overcome certain challenges that only people who have immigrated to Canada can understand.
Mana Immigration has taken years to carefully select a team of immigration experts who work tirelessly to help our clients reach their goals.
Our core values of respect, integrity, law abidance and professionalism, are at the center of every interaction and action we take. As a result, we are able to offer a truly unique and tailored experience for each of our hopeful candidates.
No matter what your needs may be, whether you have a simple question or major concern, we will be there to guide you and your family every step of the way.
Mana Immigration’s team of expert consultants and lawyers are all members of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (CCRC).
When you choose to work with us, you are assured the utmost confidentiality and an unprecedented level of personalized customer service.
Our team will work directly with you and your family throughout the entire process (we are always just a telephone call or email away).
Mana Immigration has empowered so many with the tools to succeed in Canada.
Trust us to help do the same for you.