Hi, How Can We Help You?

Slide Study Permit Application Ask For Consultation Study Permit Application

Study Permit Application

College and University Education in Canada

Advancing your studies is one of the best opportunities to visit and temporarily reside in Canada. In order to attend your dream institution (or simply to continue your child’s education), the best course of action may be to obtain a Study Permit. You might also be able to work while studying!

The process of receiving a Canadian study permit may be lengthy and difficult. It is always a great idea to consult with an experienced immigration specialist to make sure your application has the highest chance of success.

Study Without Study Permit

You require a Study Permit to be able to continue your education within Canada.  There are exceptions to this rule; as follows:

  • if you are taking a course or program that is 6 months or less (pre-requisite courses even if 6 months or less require a study permit).
  • if you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada that has been accredited by Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
  • if you’re a member of a foreign armed force on official duties in Canada.
  • if you have Registered Indian status in Canada.
  • minor children in Canada; that are in kindergarten; or refugees or refugee claimants; or if their parents are refugees or refugee claimants or they are in pre-school, primary or secondary school and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit.
Study Permit Application

Let Mana Immigration help you with the Study Permit Applications!

Study Permit Application Process

In order for you to obtain a study permit you will have to go through the following steps:

  1. Eligibility: Meet the requirements of a Study Permit for School or University
  2. Apply for School/ College university admission
  3. Get an official Letter of Acceptance from school or University
  4. Application Preparation: Once you receive your Letter of Acceptance before (LoA), you can prepare your study permit application. It is highly recommended that you work with a certified immigration consultant to help you with the difficulties that will arise during the process. (point this link to Mana form).  
  5. Study Permit Application submission:  You can Submit an electronic application or a paper-based application. 
  6. Receive Approval: Once you get your application approved you will be able to come to Canada. Upon arrival, you will receive your Study Permit, but will also be required to present your Port of Entry Introduction Letter in order to obtain your permit documentation.  

Study Permit Processing Time

Each application is unique to the individual, and thus processing times will vary. It all depends on what type of application you are submitting/submitted, where it is being processed, the type of application you submitted, and how far along it is on the road to approval. 

Click on this following link to get a rough idea on processing times.

Study Permit Application Refusals

In some instances, certain applicants may be denied a Study Permit. An explanation will be provided in the form of a letter that will be sent to you. Refusals can be expensive and take a lot of time, money, and energy to solve (especially if you must be in the country by a certain date to begin your studies).

It is best to avoid this situation by immediately consulting with an expert who can help you avoid this refusal in the first place. 

Some of the reasons for refusal are:

  • You have not shown proof of your financial status to be able to support yourself while studying in     Canada.
  • You failed your medical exam.
  • You have not proven that your main purpose of application is to study.
  • You have not proven that you will be leaving Canada at the end of your study period.

Study Permit with Student Direct Stream

A question that comes to mind by a lot of individuals that wish to come study in Canada, is: ”How do I get my study permit quicker than  the regular process?”  

The answer is that it is truly location dependent. You may be able to do so via the Student Direct Stream (SDS)–of course, depending on where you are coming from.

Timing Target for processing SDS applications is 20 calendar days, but some applications may take longer. As long as you are prepared with everything that is requested from you and submitted on time, that will allow you to expedite the process.

Working While Having a Study Permit

Scenario: You arrive in Canada with a Study Permit and you wish to work to offset some of the expenses you are incurring during the year as a student.

Frequent Question: Will you be allowed to work while on a study permit?

Answer: As long as you have a valid study permit and it indicates that you may work while studying you have the options of working on campus, working off campus, applying for a co-op or intern program or helping your spouse/partner to work.

Why choose a Mana Immigration consultant to help you?

It’s simple. As immigrants ourselves, we have been in your shoes.

Making the decision to immigrate to another country is one of life’s biggest decisions. It goes without saying that having someone help you through this difficult process can save you from making mistakes on your application, spending too much money, or becoming frustrated with the difficult road ahead.

Having immigrated to Canada ourselves, our mission ever since has been to help aspiring migrants overcome the challenges of their own personal journeys (something we wished we had access to years ago). There are many consulting firms that claim to want to help immigrants settle in Canada.

But many of them have never been through the process themselves; so how can they offer the in-depth knowledge needed to overcome certain challenges that only people who have immigrated to Canada can understand. 

Mana Immigration has taken years to carefully select a team of immigration experts who work tirelessly to help our clients reach their goals. Our core values of respect, integrity, law abidance and professionalism, are at the center of every interaction and action we take.

As a result, we are able to offer a truly unique and tailored experience for each of our hopeful candidates. No matter what your needs may be, whether you have a simple question or major concern, we will be there to guide you and your family every step of the way. 

Mana Immigration’s team of expert consultants and lawyers are all members of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (CCRC).

When you choose to work with us, you are assured the utmost confidentiality and an unprecedented level of personalized customer service. Our team will work directly with you and your family throughout the entire process (we are always just a telephone call or email away).  

Mana Immigration has empowered so many with the tools to succeed in Canada. 

Trust us to help do the same for you. 

Tell us your story today.

Frequently Asked Questions for Study Permit

An application needs to be fully complete on submission.  If a document or more is missing, the decision on the application may be made based on what has already been submitted without giving you a chance to submit the missing documents.

As long as you have a valid study permit and it indicates that you may work while studying you have the options of working on campus, working off-campus, applying for a co-op or intern program, or helping your spouse/partner to work.

If you are enrolling in a program that is less than 6 months long you do not need a Study Permit however you will need to secure a temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic travel Visa (eTA).

If the program is longer than 6 months the student will need to apply for a study permit.

There is an advantage to applying for a Study Permit even if your program that you are applying for is less than 6 months. 

What if you end up deciding to enroll in another study program or enroll in full-time studies at a University or College?  It would be easier for you to stay in the country rather than leave and re-apply for the Study Permit via a Canadian visa office outside Canada.